Boiled Linseed Oil Toxic?
you please tell me if boiled linseed oil applied to finished wood
then wiped dry with a cloth has a danger of being toxic? -
Dresdner: Boiled linseed oil is a drying oil, which means that it
will go from liquid to a solid film in a day or two after it is
applied to wood. Once it is dry, it is quite safe.
you probably know, raw linseed oil, sold as flaxseed oil in the
grocery store, is edible and considered by some to be a health food
supplement. To make boiled linseed oil, metal salts are added. They
cause the oil to dry faster. While these render boiled linseed oil
inedible, you'd have to consume a decent amount before it would
be toxic. However, once the oil is dry, the metals are trapped
in the film, making it perfectly safe for use on furniture.
the single most hazardous aspect of boiled linseed oil is fire risk.
Oily rags or towels, if left in a pile, generate enough heat during
cure that they can spontaneously combust, smoldering and eventually
bursting into flame all by themselves. Make sure you lay your used
oil wipes out one layer thick so they can dissipate that heat while
drying. Once they are dry and crusty, they are landfill safe and can
go out with the household trash.
This article originally appeared in the Woodworker's Journal eZine.
Click here for information on this free, twice monthly online publication.
Copyright; 2010 Woodworker's Journal
All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval devices or systems, without prior written permission from the publisher.